MOMA’s Vegan Truffle Mac & Cheese
Who doesn't love mac & cheese? Try out this vegan twist on a cheesy classic, featuring MOMA's very own oat drink.
11 / 03 / 2020
Calling all cheese lovers – this one’s for you! Made using MOMA’s brand new Original Oat Drink, this vegan mac & cheese recipe is delicious, dairy free and packed full of veggies. The nutritional yeast is key for the dairy free, cheesy deliciousness! Give it a go and let us know what you think!
- 350g macaroni
- 1l MOMA Original Oat Drink
- 2 courgettes, grated
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 150g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp truffle oil
- 1 onion
- 100 g dairy-free spread plus 1tsp
- 85 g plain flour
- 1 ½ tsp dijon mustard
- 1½ tbsp nutritional yeast
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Few sprigs fresh time
- 40 g fresh breadcrumbs
- Splash of oil
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Cook the macaroni according to pack instructions then drain and set aside.
- Melt 1 tsp dairy free spread in a large frying pan over medium/high heat and cook the leeks, mushrooms and courgettes until softened. Make sure all water has cooked off. Stir in the truffle oil and set aside.
- Peel and halve the onion, place in a small pan over a medium heat with the oat milk. Slowly bring to the boil then remove from the heat. Pick out and discard the onion, then set aside.
- Melt the remaining dairy free spread in another pan over a medium heat, then add the flour, stirring continuously until it forms a paste.
- Gradually add the warm milk a little at a time, whisking continuously until smooth. Bring to the boil and simmer for around 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Stir in the dijon mustard and nutritional yeast flakes and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the macaroni and cooked vegetables to the sauce, then toss to coat. Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof baking dish and set aside.
- Finely chop the garlic, then pick the thyme leaves, discarding the stalks. Add to a pan over a medium heat with a splash of oil. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden, then transfer to a food processor with the breadcrumbs and a splash of oil. Blitz until combined, then sprinkle over the pasta.
- Place the dish in the hot oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden.
All ingredients excluding the nutritional yeast can be found at www.sainsburys.co.uk.
Featured image by @doctorbowl.