Here at MOMA, we’re big fans of a bowl of porridge for breakfast - we just can’t get enough of it! What better way to start the day, than with a bowl of oatie goodness? Well, how about topping it with some crunchy granola?!If you’re a granola novice, now’s the perfect time to try out the deliciousness that you’ve been missing. We’re here to tell you all about gorgeous granola - with a healthy recipe for you to try that can be eaten on its own or as part of a truly awesome breakfast combo!
What does granola consist of?Granola is usually made up of oats, nuts, fruit, oil and something sumptuously syrupy such as agave or pure maple to bring it all together. Whether it’s a spicy sprinkling of cinnamon or some chewy and tangy dried fruit, your granola recipe can be adapted to make it just right for you!
Health benefits that granola can bringWith every mouthful of granola you take, you can be satisfied knowing that you’re stocking up on an abundance of nutritional benefits. For starters, the combination of oats and nuts provide heaps of fibre and protein, to keep you ticking over until lunch. Not only that, oats contain a soluble fibre called Beta Glucan which has been found to lower cholesterol levels. Read more about fantastic fibre and brilliant beta glucan, here! From the oils, nuts and any seeds that you add into your homemade granola, your body will thank you for the healthy fats it receives, which can help to lower blood pressure, and keep your brain health in check, too. Looking for that vitamin fix? Granola is bursting with vitamin E, folate and thiamin, as well as zinc, copper, magnesium and selenium, each of which brings numerous benefits to our bodies including increased energy, improved metabolism and generally making us feel better during the day!
Shop bought granola vs. homemade granolaSome shop bought granola options can contain large amounts of sugar which could pretty much demolish the healthy addition that granola brings to your day. Making your own at home is a much healthier way to enjoy the crunchy goodness of granola. Check out our very own recipe for a delicious granola that can be made using our MOMA Plain (No Added Sugar) Porridge Sachets to be eaten on its own, or better yet, as a crunchy topping for your warm bowl of porridge!
MOMA’s Crunchy Granola Style Porridge ToppingMakes 4 servings
- 4-6 sachets of MOMA Plain (No Added Sugar) Porridge Oats
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g mixed nuts and seeds of your choice (we love pumpkin seeds and flaked almonds!)
- 100g dried fruit of your choice
- X1 MOMA Coconut & Chia Porridge Pot
- Preheat your oven to 150°C.
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, agave syrup, maple syrup and vanilla extract, before adding the plain porridge oats, nuts and seeds.
- Evenly spread the mixture out onto two baking trays and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and mix the dried fruit into the granola. Place back in the oven and cook for another 15 minutes or until the oats are crisp and golden.
- Pour the granola out of the tray and onto a couple of large plates to cool.
- To prepare the Coconut & Chia Porridge Pot, simply splash some boiling water to the fill line and leave for 1 minute or more. If the porridge is too thick, just add more water!