Simple and classic, these vegan scones are ready in less than 30 minutes and use oat milk.
- 40g spreadable vegan butter or butter (as preferred)
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1½ level tablespoons golden caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 110ml oat milk, plus a little more (if needed)
- Flour for dusting
- Plant-based spread or butter
- Plant-based cream alternative or clotted cream
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7
- Sieve the self-raising flour into a large bowl, and rub in plant-based spread or butter using your fingertips until it resembles bread crumbs
- Then mix in the sugar and a pinch of salt
- Using a knife, mix in the oat milk little by little, once it’s all combined, flour your hands and knead the mixture into a soft dough
- Scatter some flour onto the work surface and roll out your dough with a floured rolling pin to a thickness of around 3cm.
- Then take a 5cm pastry cutter and place it into the dough, when you have cut as many as you can, knead the remaining dough together again and repeat.
- Place the scones on a baking sheet, and lightly dust with flour.
- Bake for 12-15 mins until risen and golden on the top.
- Enjoy them warm or cold with a generous topping of jam.